Local Volunteer Opportunities
La Crosse Warming Center
Current Warming Center Needs
As the weather has turned colder and snowier, the Warming Center has had several full nights plus overflow (42 guests) and the need for support has increased. In addition to our wonderful first-Friday volunteers and meal-makers, below are two requests.
Firstly, some of the supplies are running low and staff member Johnny Wadzinsk made a list of immediate needs. Any quantity / size etc. is most appreciated!
- Waterproof men’s gloves
- Thermal shirts
- Warm socks
- Scotch tape
- Scrubs, especially XL pants and tops
- Paper soup bowls
- Toothbrushes and small tubes of toothpaste
- Pre-ground coffee (30 oz or so container size is best)
- Men’s and women’s underwear
- Cough drops individually wrapped
- Nail clippers, preferably a bulk pack (they get handed out)
- Toilet bowl cleaner
- Other cleaning supplies
Please bring the supplies to the UU and put them in the marked container in the kitchen. We’ll make sure the supplies make it to the center.
And here is the second request…
I had a long conversation with Carrie Jick, Peer Support Specialist staff member with Catholic Charities. She is currently single handedly helping individual guests (about a hundred clients) to reintegrate into society. This is in addition to working intake shifts at the center. Carrie is looking for some volunteers to work directly with warming center guests.
Here is where she could use volunteer help:
- Meet with a designated guest (client) at the main library.
- Sit down with them and help them fill out a survey of needs and wants (Carrie will provide the survey).
- Help clients fill out forms at the Warming Center
Below are some optional additional needs based on your comfort level with the client you are helping at the library:
- Take clients to government agencies (mostly county offices or DMV) to get ID cards, attend appointments, etc.
- Take clients to doctor appointments and take notes.
If interested, please contact Carrie directly at 608-860-5158.
She would love the help!
Social and Environmental Justice team
Monthly Special Collections
Each month our Social & Environmental Justice Team selects a community organization as our Special Collection recipient. Join us every month in donating to community organizations that manifest our values!
Join Our Social & Environmental Justice Team!
UU La Crosse’s team aims to impact the world by acting locally. We have and will continue to take part through 2022 in supporting the Kane Street Garden as part of our work for food sustainability and justice. We have, and will continue through 2022, working to connect up with our national organization, the Unitarian Universalist Association, to take part in “UU the Vote”.
- Learn about injustice and its roots
- Fight racism, sexism, homophobia, and xenophobia
- Support the building of a sustainable world
- Raise money for local justice-focused causes
- Take part in congregational social justice projects in the community
For more information contact Team Chair David Boen: email@example.com
UU Social & Environmental Justice in the News
- UU La Crosse Justice Rally – News 8000
- UU La Crosse Builds Accessible Garden Bed at Kane Street Garden – News 19