Green Cleaning Products
Part of our Green Sanctuary project in 2013 involved bringing attention to the environmental impact of cleaning products used by the Fellowship and by individuals at home. The Green Sanctuary Committee at that time reviewed cleaning supply selection, with four criteria in mind: 1) the safety of our members; 2) the avoidance of adverse impact on the environment; 3) product effectiveness; and 4) locally availability.
One Green Sanctuary Committee member tested products for their effectiveness, and generated a list of recommended items meeting the criteria above. This list has since been updated to reflect the availability of products.
- Toilet Bowl Cleaners
- Seventh Generation, Emerald Cypress Fir
- Ecover, pine
- CLR Bath and Kitchen Cleaner
- Dish Liquid
- Ecover Dish Liquid
- Seventh Generation Dish Liquid (not Clementine Zest or Citrus Ginger)
- CitraSolve Dish Liquid
- Mrs. Meyer’s Dish Liquid (not Lemon Verbena)
- All-Purpose Cleaner
- Seventh Generation Natural Glass and Surface Cleaner
- Simple Green Naturals Surface Care
- Simple Green Concentrated Cleaner
- Ecover All Purpose and Glass and Surface Cleaners
- Method All Purpose Cleaner
- Mrs. Meyer’s Surface Scrub
- Vinegar, baking soda, and washing soda
- Sink Cleanser
- Bon Ami
- Vinegar, baking soda
When and if the above products are not available, efforts to find suitable eco-friendly products can be made utilizing the Environmental Working Group’s website: http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners to help determine safety. Products are given a letter grade.
It is suggested that grades of A, B, and C are acceptable, with an effort to stay in the A and B grades, when possible, with consideration of local production, too. For example, J. R. Watkins and Mrs. Meyer’s products are locally produced.
If you’d like to receive updates, have suggestions, ideas or comments that you would like to share please contact one of our team members by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form below!